What Must I do to be saved?
The Lord …is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9b)
Three things you must do to be saved:
1. You must understand your need.
- Everyone is guilty of sin. (Romans 3:10,23)
- The penalty for sin is eternal punishment in hell. (Romans 6:2, Revelation 20: 14-15)
2. You must understand God’s provision.
- God has freely provided all you need to be saved. God send His Son, Jesus, into the world to die in your place. (John 3:16-18)
3. You must understand your responsibility.
- There is no amount of good that you can do to save yourself. Salvation is the free gift of God, paid for by the shedding of the blood of Jesus on the cross. (Ephesians 2:8-10, Romans 3:23)
- You must turn from sin to God with all your heart. The Bible calls this repentance. (Luke 13: 3,5)
- You must receive Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior by faith, a complete reliance upon Jesus and a total commitment of your life to Him. (John 1:12, John 3:16, Acts 16:30-31)
What Happens When You Turn to God by Receiving Jesus Christ?
- God changes your life. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
- You are given abundant life. (John 10:10)
- You are qualified for baptism. (Acts 8:36-37, Matthew 28:19-20
- You are ready to be part of the local church. (Acts 2:47)
- You are now ready to begin to grow in the Christian life. (1 Peter 2:1-2, 2 Peter 2:18)